Saturday, January 23, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

Of course it's a little late to be discussing New Year's resolutions, but since I'm a hopeless procrastinator it's never too late.

Making New Year's resolutions is a common tradition in the United States, as well as breaking them. Almost nobody keeps their New Year's resolutions, although there is the occasional exception.

Below are some common New Year's resolutions.

You can say "My New Year's resolution is to ..."

quit smoking
lose weight
work out more
save more money
reduce stress
eat healthier
stop procrastinating
learn English
enjoy life more

Common verbs that can be used with New Year's resolution are:


Make

Keep

Break


Have you made any New Year's resolutions?

It's difficult for me to keep my New Year's resolutions.

I often break my New Year's resolutions.

This pattern can also be used with the verb promise. In fact, a New Year's resolution
is a kind of promise that you make to yourself for the coming year.

My New Year's resolutions this year are to get more sleep and produce more original
English materials for my students. A difficult task to combine!

Here's a useful video on the subject of New Year's resolutions by Jennifer Lebedev.

No comments:

Why Black Friday is Stupid in Russia

Ok, it's stupid not only in Russia, but in Europe, Asia or anywhere else except the United States. I'm really getting tire...